Basic Insurance that is contained in all contracts for moving of household effects and is included in the cost of your move.
- Under released valuation, the mover’s liability is limited to $0.60 per pound ($1.32 per kg) per article for household goods under provincial conditions of carriage regulations. This would mean that a table weighing 100 lb. that is being shipped and which is damaged beyond repair would result in a cash settlement of $60 (100 lb. x $0.60 per lb.) even if the actual replacement cost of the table were $1,000.
- Released valuation limits your claim to a maximum amount which is based on the total weight of your shipment (including the weight of cartons). For example, in the unlikely event of a total loss, let’s say by fire, your maximum protection would be $0.60 per pound multiplied by the weight of your entire shipment If your shipment weighed 5,000 lbs., the maximum settlement would be $3,000 (5,000 lbs. x $0.60 per lb. = $3,000).
- Released valuation is generally not adequate because it provides only minimal coverage. Consider these alternatives.
- You should check with your insurance agent to find out if you have alternate insurance on your household possessions that provides a complete, all risk protection during loading, unloading, transportation and storage. Most homeowner policies do not cover you in this situation.
- Occasionally, a special rider can be purchased from your insurer but the premium is usually higher than purchasing Replacement Value Protection coverage from the mover.
- If Released Valuation and your home insurance together are not adequate, then you should purchase the Replacement Value Protection that the mover is offering.
The purchase of Replacement Value Protection (RVP) is recommended to ensure your shipment is adequately covered during your move.
- RVP means that if a damaged item cannot be repaired to its original condition, it will be replaced at today’s market price.
- RVP protection is limited only by the amount of valuation you select, so it is important that you establish a realistic replacement value of all of your possessions.
- Declared value range ($10,000 to $50,000 *Maximum amount per individual item applies. Please review the Terms and Conditions below!)
- Deductible ($2,500 to $0)
Please chose your preferred combination.
Ie. A2 – $10,000 coverage with $250 deductible will cost ($175)
Ie. B3 – $20,000 coverage with $300 deductible, will cost ($300)
A $10,000 coverage
1 $0 Deductible ($200)
2 $250 Deductible ($175)
3 $500 Deductible ($150)
4 $1000 Deductible ($125)
5 $2500 Deductible ($100)
B $20,000 coverage
1 $0 Deductible ($400)
2 $250 Deductible ($350)
3 $500 Deductible ($300)
4 $1000 Deductible ($250)
5 $2500 Deductible ($200)
C $30,000 coverage
1 $0 Deductible ($600)
2 $250 Deductible ($525)
3 $500 Deductible ($450)
4 $1000 Deductible ($375)
5 $2500 Deductible ($300)
D $40,000 coverage
1 $0 Deductible ($800)
2 $250 Deductible ($700)
3 $500 Deductible ($600)
4 $1000 Deductible ($500)
5 $2500 Deductible ($400)
E $50,000 coverage
1 $0 Deductible ($1000)
2 $250 Deductible ($875)
3 $500 Deductible ($750)
4 $1000 Deductible ($625)
5 $2500 Deductible ($500)
- A maximum of $50,000 per Certificate and a maximum of $2,500 per each individual item
- A maximum of $40,000 per Certificate and a maximum of $2,000 per each individual item
- A maximum of $30,000 per Certificate and a maximum of $1,500 per each individual item
- A maximum of $20,000 per Certificate and a maximum of $1,000 per each individual item
- A maximum of $10,000 per Certificate and a maximum of $500 per each individual item
Recap of coverage options for RVP
- Repair the item.
- Replace the item with a similar one.
- Offer a cash settlement equivalent to the broken item’s current market value.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
IMMEDIATELY notify, in writing, the delivering carrier advising them that damage has occurred to your shipment. A copy must be included with your claim form.
SUBROGATION CLAUSE: After the payment of a claim under this insurance document, the Insurance Carrier shall be subrogated to the extent of their payment to all the Assured’s rights of recovery against any person or organization.
SALVAGE: If the Insurance Carrier replaces, makes a total loss payment, or pays the insured amount as shown on the valued inventory for a damaged article, they, at their option, have the right to salvage the damaged article. The Insurance Carrier also reserves the right to inspect and to verify the claimed damages on any item.
CLAIMS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING TO Home Run Movers (email@example.com) WITHIN 48 HOURS OF DELIVERY: All claim payments, minus any applicable deductible, will be made in Canadian Dollars.
Home Run Movers reserves the right to inspect and verify all reported damages and to require substantiation of any claims amounts, value of items claimed or proof of ownership. Coverage is for transit damage or loss only (while in possession of the contracted carrier) and does not include any repairs or coverage of any pre-existing wear or damage to a piece.
DEDUCTIBLE: All loss or damage arising during the certificate period shall be adjusted in accordance with the valuations and limitation provisions of this certificate and will then be considered the “adjusted claim”. From the adjusted claim or the applicable limit of this certificate, whichever is less, the sum stated under the applicable deductible amount shown in Declarations shall be deducted. Insurer shall have no obligations under this form until the claim exceeds the deductible.
(a) Loss or damage arising out of the acts of any government, customs authority, or official confiscation. Consequential losses due to delay or any depreciation in value are not covered.
(b) Maximum recovery on damaged or lost OWNER-packed items, cartons, or containers is limited to $750 per item, carton, or container with a maximum per claim payment of $2,500. Claims will not be honoured for shortage of any owner-packed items, cartons, or containers unless that shortage has been noted at the time of delivery and reported to the Insurance Carrier within 48 hours of delivery. In the event of a Total Loss of the entire shipment, loss of any owner packed items, cartons, or containers will be covered for loss up to the face value of the certificate and the shipment’s declared value.
(c) Loss or damage to jewelry, watches, gem stones, cash, currency or bank notes, deeds, firearms, travelers checks, coin or stamp collections, sports memorabilia,; ceramic, marble, granite or slate slabs, , motorcycles, alcoholic beverages, negotiable items, furs or garments trimmed with fur, ammunition, contraband, cigarettes, laptop or tablet computers, mobile or cellular telephones.
(d) Loss or damage caused by wear and tear, deterioration, changes in climatic conditions, mold and mildew, infestations, pre-existing damages, inherent vice, or discovery of loss or damage after final delivery made that is deemed to have occurred while the shipment was NOT in transit, and therefore is not covered.
(e) Any internal electrical or mechanical component of any device unless exceptions are noted at the time of delivery for external damage to such property. Loss of data and recalibration are also excluded.
(f) Wrinkled or soiled clothing, linens, drapes, or rugs.
(g) Marring, scratching, denting, chipping, or rubbing on items which have been received by the carrier as Condition Unknown.
(h) Items not listed on the movers’ inventory prepared at origin. Items not listed as shipped are not covered.
Here is our suggestion for inventory:
(i) Appraisal fees, estimate or inspection fees, shipping or transportation charges, sales tax, damages caused during assembly or disassembly of items that require third party service, items having no commercial value, items of sentimental value or property damage.
(j) Loss caused by nuclear reaction, radiation, or radioactive contamination, whether controlled or uncontrolled, however caused.
(k) Physical loss or damage to the property carried out for political, terrorist, or ideological purposes when property is in storage.
(l) Real Estate property damage and/or any service related issues, including but not limited to mover and customer agreements, shipment delays, etc.
(m) Damage to any furniture constructed of veneered chipboard, particle board, composite board, or similar. Any reduction in quality thereof arising as the result of dismantling or reassembling of any such items of furniture is also excluded.
(n) Any damages caused as a result of these being in the shipment: hazardous materials, items that are flammable, corrosive or explosive; perishables: food, plants or living things that may die or spoil in transit.
(o) Contributory negligence on the part of the owner and/or their agents. Damages or loss attributed to an act, order, or omission on the part of the shipper.
MISREPRESENTATION AND FRAUD: This agreement shall be void if the Assured has concealed or misrepresented any material fact or circumstance concerning this Insurance or the subject thereof. Any person who includes any false or misleading information on an application for an insurance certificate is subject to criminal and civil penalties.
(p) Dry or brittle antique furniture. Some antique furniture is so brittle that it can actually fall apart just by being blanket-wrapped.
(u) Any furniture that the customer does not allow the movers to properly pad and/or wrap.
(v) Any damage resulting from the interference or assistance of a customer or other(s) in the moving or packing process.
(w) Any damages where the crew have pointed out to the customer that they are likely to occur and the customer accepts that risk. An example of this would be moving an over-sized couch through a narrow stairway/hallway/doorway where the couch must touch the walls/railings/stairs in order to fit through the passage.
(x) Damages to the home unless documented on the work order prior to the moving crew leaving the home. It is the customer’s responsibility to inspect the home and bring any damages to the attention of the crew before they leave the site. The company may, at its discretion, accept responsibility for damages after the fact.
EXAMINATION UNDER OATH: Before recovering for any loss you will, if requested: (a) permit us to inspect the damaged property before it is disposed of or repaired; (b) send us a sworn statement of loss containing the information we request to settle your claim. You must do this within 60 days of our request; (c) agree to examinations under an oath at our request; (d) produce others for examination under an oath at our request; (e) provide us with all pertinent records and reports needed to prove the loss; (f) cooperate with us in the investigation or settlement of the loss.
AGENCY: It is understood and agreed that any person authorized by the named assured or shipper to order this insurance is acting as the agent of the Assured and is aware of the certificate terms and conditions. In any case, a customer signed certificate and terms and conditions must be received by Home Run Movers two days prior to packing or moving date.
- Claims will not be honoured for the loss of any owner-packed items, cartons, or containers unless the shortage has been noted at the time of delivery and reported to the Insurance Carrier within 48 hours of delivery. Any DAMAGE to contents of owner packed items, cartons or containers will only be covered if EXTERNAL damage to the packed item, carton or container is noted at the time of delivery and reported to the Insurance Carrier within 48 hours. In the event of a Total Loss of the entire shipment, loss of any owner packed items, cartons, or containers will be covered for loss up to the face value of the certificate and the shipment’s declared value.
- Maximum recovery for damage or shortage on OWNER-packed items, cartons, or containers is limited to $750 per item, carton, or container and maximum of $2,500 per shipment. In the event of a Total Loss of the entire shipment, loss of any owner packed items, cartons, or containers will be covered for loss up to the face value of the certificate and the shipment’s declared value.
- Loss or damage to automobiles while being driven under their own motor power except while on the premises and while being loaded and unloaded into and off the carrier. Marring, denting, chipping, or scratching on automobiles over five years old. Non-factory installed accessories or removable items on automobiles. Goods of a personal nature shipped inside an automobile are also excluded.
- An entire set if any single item(s) is lost or damaged. Payment will only be made for the proportionate value of the item(s) lost or damaged. All non-furniture items (lamps, including floor or pole lamps, mirrors, removable table tops, table leaves, etc.) must be boxed and labeled prior to the carrier’s arrival. Bed rails and slats must be bundled securely prior to the carrier’s arrival.
(aa) Loss or damage to any item unless the premium for the insurance has been received by Home Run Movers.
(ac) Loss or damage to any items, unless loss or damage with the exception of concealed damage to items packed into boxes, cartons, or containers; this must be reported within 48 hours.
(ad) Delicate and fragile items, including, but not limited to: lamps, glass tables/tops, marble tables/tops, slates, taxidermy, paintings, framed pictures, statues, chandeliers, display cases, when not packed and/or crated in wooden or other professional moving boxes and containers will not be covered. With regards to LTL (Less Than Truck Load) shipments, Items weighing more than 300 lbs must be skidded and all items with a value of $2,000 or more must be cushioned inside a fully enclosed plywood crate and packed and unpacked by a certified third party service or approved moving & storage company.
(ae) Mattresses and boxsprings are specifically excluded from coverage unless packed in mattress cartons specifically designed for this purpose. Shrink-wrap alone does not constitute proper protection.
(af) The inventory as prepared by the Assured and/or the shipping/transportation company, must be noted and signed by all parties at loading and unloading for current conditions of the insured items.
(ag) All insured goods must be in the care, custody and control of and handled by Home Run Movers approved licensed, insured and professional Freight carrier, auto carrier, Moving and Storage Company or a Home Run Movers approved professional labor service at all stages of the move in order for those goods to be insured. Non-compliance will cause the insurance certificate to become null and void.
(ah) Insurance must be purchased prior to shipping and/or pick up by the carrier.
(ai) This certificate cannot be cancelled or modified once the pickup has occurred. Notes added to Certificate Summary by the assured can not alter or change coverage in any way.
(aj) In case of shipment being loaded and/or unloaded into a truck or a container by any person other than a Home Run Movers authorized loading and unloading affiliate, this certificate will become null and void.
(ak) Change of carrier must be notified to Home Run Movers in writing, at least 48 business hours prior to shipping date, as noted on the certificate. The new assigned carrier must be a qualified carrier with our network, or the certificate will become null and void.
(al) No items or goods can be added to or deleted from the certificate after items have been loaded on the truck(s).
(am) In case of any other coverage to the shipment, including but not limited to homeowners insurance, rental insurance, moving company’s insurance, manufacturer’s warranty and added services warranty this certificate will act as a secondary certificate and will pick up only after the first certificate was exhausted while using the original coverage as a deductible, to the extent of the original certificate’s coverage.
(an) In case of the original shipping company subcontracting this move to another shipping company, the Assured must notify Home Run Movers and confirm that both companies are authorized by Home Run Movers.
(ao) In case of a claim, proof of value is required on all items. Acceptable proof of value is either a purchase receipt or a certified appraisal.
Maximum coverage is up to $2500 per item, and only physical damage is covered, no mechanical and/or electrical derangement. All TV’s and Grandfather/Grandmother Clocks must be packed and unpacked by a certified third party service or approved moving & storage company.
All TV’s and Grandfather/Grandmother Clocks must be inspected for damages at time of delivery, and any damages must be noted and signed by all parties on the inventory, bill of lading or delivery receipt.
TV’s: Home Run Movers must receive the year, make and model of any insured TV PRIOR to shipping. All TV’s up to 37″ must be packed and unpacked by a certified third party service or approved moving & storage company (ie. Vancouver in the Box) into original box with Styrofoam, or a box specifically made for this item.
Grandfather/Grandmother Clocks: Must be packed into boxes/containers specifically made for these items, or solid wooden crates.
Failure to follow these terms and conditions will render this certificate a “Null and Void” certificate or result in automatic cancellation, as decided by Home Run Movers, reserves the right to cancel any certificate without notice; in this event, a full refund will be made.
In case this certificate is purchased by the insured’s agent or representative, these terms and conditions must be reviewed, signed by the insured, and faxed over to Home Run Movers; or this certificate will become null and void immediately upon discovery.
Any statements or Agreements made by the mover in contradiction to any of the Terms and Conditions contained in this document will not be recognized or endorsed during the Claim settlement process. The Terms and Conditions in this document preclude any verbal or written agreements between the mover and insured where such agreements violate or conflict with the Terms and Conditions contained in this document.
No suit, action, or proceeding for the recovery of any claim under this certificate shall be sustainable in any court of law or equity unless the same be commenced within twelve (12) months next after delivery, provided, however, that by the laws of the state within which this certificate is issued such limitation is invalid, then any such claim shall be void unless such actions, suit or proceedings be commenced within the shortest limit of time permitted by the laws of such state. Any and all legal suits, actions or proceedings must be filed in the province of British Columbia, CANADA.
Level 1 and 2 are usually sufficient for 98% of our clients.
For total shipment replacement coverage over and above what we are able to offer, we recommend third party moving insurance that will average between 2-5% of total declared value of your inventory.